We welcome students to observe our healthcare providers while they are working in our organization. For the safety of our patients, students must fulfill the following requirements prior to receiving observation privileges.
Due to the large volume of requests we receive, please carefully read and follow the instructions to ensure your paperwork can be appropriately processed.
It is the student's responsibility to find a physician preceptor.
All students are required to provide:
- Current health assessment within one year
- Current PPD within one year
- Proof of immunizations (Rubella and Rubeola)
- Flu Vaccination
- A letter signed by the provider stating the name of the student and the time period of observation. It is the responsibility of the student to contact the provider and obtain this letter of permission. (If the student intends to observe more than one provider, a letter of permission is required from each individual provider.)
- Read the Non-Employee Orientation Packet
- Complete the Non-Employee Orientation Statement & Evaluation
- Complete the HIPAA Education Acknowledgement Form
Submitting required documentation
- Students must call 315-624-6104 (Faxton St. Luke's Healthcare) or 315-801-3191 (St. Elizabeth Medical Center) prior to arriving at the Medical Staff Office to submit their documentation.
- All required documentation must be submitted to the appropriate Medical Staff Office at St. Luke's Campus or St. Elizabeth Campus at least 2 weeks prior to observation. We apologize but last minute requests will not be accepted.
- Students must submit a complete packet of documents, in full, at one time. Partial documentation will not be accepted.
- All required documentation must be provided in hard copy, fax or email.
Faxton St. Luke's Healthcare
Medical Staff Services
1656 Champlin Ave.
Utica, NY 13502
St. Elizabeth Medical Center
Medical Staff Services
2209 Genesee Street
Utica, NY 13501
Fax: 315-624-4757 Fax: 315-801-3396 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Email: email@example.com
If the student is enrolled in an educational program and is observing as part of their assignment, letterhead from their program should be utilized.
Mohawk Valley Health System (Faxton St. Luke's Healthcare and/or St. Elizabeth Medical Center) has agreements with some educational programs. Students enrolled in those programs will be approved for "hands on" observation as outlined by the applicable agreement. If we do not have an agreement in place, observation will be "hands off."